The Bon Air Fire Company was organized in the Spring of 1918 as the Bon Air
Civic Association. It was formed by 22 men who held meetings in their homes. The original equipment consisted
of 2 buckets for each member, and the company was called the Bon Air Fire Brigade.
A short time after that, Bon Air acquired its first piece of apparatus which
was a hand drawn cart that held a 50 gallon soda acid barrel for extinguishing the fire. In 1923 a plot of
land on Royal Avenue was donated to the Fire Company. Shortly after that, the original community meeting
house, seen in the photo below, was erected by volunteers in the community and still serves as our meeting
Our first motorized fire truck arrived in 1925 and cost $464.00. In the early
1940s, the Fire Company and the Civic Association separated into 2 organizations. Today, this group is the
Hilltop Civic Association.
After WWII the once rural farmland surrounding the fire house began to develop
and family expansion was on the rise. To meet the new challenges, Bon Air expanded and grew to handle the
needs of our community.
Many years have gone by since those pioneering days, but the dedication and
commitment of your local firemen and neighbors has remained constant through the generations.